Logan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Delish & Nutritious

I have really been enjoying my smoothies lately. They are a good snack, pre or post workout, and oh so tasty. I know you do have be conscious of what you're putting in them b/c you can rack up the calories pretty quickly. The right combination can be really good for your body though. Logan even enjoys them. While he won't eat a lot of different fruits and veggies he will suck a smoothie down in a matter of minutes! So I know he's getting good nutrition as well.

Here's what I've been doing and I'm totally loving it. I have pretty much perfected it and about ready to move on to a new concoction but this one has been Heaven!

1 cup Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk (only 45 calories per cup, I use Almond Breeze)
About 1/2 a banana (frozen)
Sometimes I throw in some frozen strawberries
A handful of spinach leaves (for vitamins and good stuff, you don't taste it)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 Tbsp Flax Meal (ground Flax Seeds)
1 Tbsp All Natural Peanut Butter
Ice

You do have to be careful of the amount of Flax you use. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. If you have a weak or sensitive stomach you may want to pass on this. I had to cut back on the amount b/c it does have a natural laxative effect (I know, TMI, but it's the truth). I was using 1 whole tablespoon. Not such a good idea for me. I want to continue to use it b/c it does have some good benefits. You can read about Flax here.



Smoothies are great b/c there are unlimited possibilities. And can be super healthy. Whatever you're in the mood for or whatever you may have on hand. I've come to realize it's not rocket science. If you drinking them for health reasons just be sure to know what you're putting in them. I have a new love for them and can't wait to experiment. My next endeavor is a Strawberry Lemonade one that uses lemon zest, LOVE!!

Strawberry Lemondade Smoothie: (This makes 2 servings so you don't wanna drink the whole thing, great for sharing!)

3/4 cup (6 oz.) Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze® Almondmilk
2 cups halved strawberries
1 tsp. lemon zest
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 packet no-calorie sweetener (such as splenda) or to taste
3 ice cubes
Again, I would add my protein and flax to this as well.

Get Blending!!! What are you drinking??

No comments: